View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:46

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Originalmick (bridge) från en LP std 1981 SÅLD 

Post Originalmick (bridge) från en LP std 1981 SÅLD
Jag hade en gång en Gibson '81 LP std. Micken låg tydligen kvar här hemma, kanske någon är i fart med att leta originaldelar till sin 81:a??

Bud

//R

03 Jun 2009, 19:20

shit, trodde den här skulle bli superpopulär, inga som äger gamla LP:s här?

//R

10 Jun 2009, 12:27

Ok hur mycket hade tänkt i pris?

10 Jun 2009, 15:11
Profile ICQ WWW

Skitmycket tänkte jag först då jag trodde den skuylle ha någon form av värde men det får jag tydligen omvärdera... [:o)]

Över 1000 hade jag hoppats på men jag är ute och hojar ganska ofta så kom med bud...

//R

10 Jun 2009, 22:22

Skulle kunna vara en Tim Shaw, och dom går för 4000-5000 kr paret på Fle-bay... Så jag skulle lägga ut den där![:)]

17 Jun 2009, 11:42

Någon som vet hur dessa står sig mot t-tops från 70talet?

Image Image
<i>Gibson LP R8 VOS (WC + IT) | Fender Telecaster | Gretsch 5120 | Martin D-28 | Danelectro (DC3) | Danelectro (DC212) | Harmony Sovereign (69)"]

17 Jun 2009, 16:33
Profile ICQ

om det är en Shaw så är den väldigt klar och bright som jag förstått. Inte så high-gain heller, så antagligen rätt lik en T-Top men lite mer PAF'ig har jag hört? Har dock aldrig haft Shaw'mickar själv och dessutom vet jag inte om det där är en sån heller så det här är rena spekulationer.

18 Jun 2009, 00:33

Vem fan e Tim Shaw? Nu Nu måste jag dra och googla...

John, jag har visserligen spelat på ett gäng 70-LP's men tyvärr aldrig tänkt på om det varit originalmickar eller ej... Jag har mao ingen aning.

//R

18 Jun 2009, 09:30

Priset brukar ligga på 6-800:- styck för dom där mickarna...
Inte direkt ovanliga eller eftertraktade tyvärr, om man nu inte har en 80-tals LP som saknar en orginalmick.

'Shaws' förknippar jag med den första PAF reissuen Gibson gjorde 1980, och dom ser ju inte ut sådär ...

18 Jun 2009, 11:11
Profile ICQ WWW

nä, ingen vintagehysteri här inte. Har dock inte ens fått bud på 1kr så det här går ju helt åt skogen! [:o)]

Mike Leaf wrote:

Priset brukar ligga på 6-800:- styck för dom där mickarna...
Inte direkt ovanliga eller eftertraktade tyvärr, om man nu inte har en 80-tals LP som saknar en orginalmick.

'Shaws' förknippar jag med den första PAF reissuen Gibson gjorde 1980, och dom ser ju inte ut sådär ...

18 Jun 2009, 13:01

Men är detta en Shaw?
Eller de här?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1984-Gibson ... 7C294%3A50

18 Jun 2009, 13:47

Ser ut så... den ovan i tråden är det inte. det är alltså dom tidiga Paf reissue mickarna, vissa hade PAF dekaler, vissa märkta 137 eller 138 med bläck..
Jag hade ett par orginal i ett korina V som var helt orginal men undrade alltid varför de inte hade en dekal utan stämpalt nr , nu vet man tack vara google...

Varför dessa blivit så dyra ... , tja jag tror det är lite 'hype' inblandat. När Tim Shaw slutade på Gibson och öppnade eget så blev hans paf kloner populära och då började folk även leta efter dessa som han lindade i början av 80-talet. om det skulle vara en BÄTTRE mick än ex en nyare burstbucker eller c57? Who knows... 500$ skulle jag i alla fall aldrig betala för ett set.

d

22 Jun 2009, 16:23
Profile ICQ WWW

Here's what past LPF poster Big Al had to say about Shaws and what Gibson has said:

Shaws - per Big Al:
They were all made in the same place. They all had a seperate inked in number on the base plate in addition to the stamped patent number.

The first three digits will tell you the type. 137 is a neck pickup with less windings and 138 is a bridge pickup with more windings. There is a date code after the fist three digits. 1381280 would be a bridge Shaw made in December 1980. Not all of them had the silver PAF sticker.

They had PAF coilforms with the square/round inspection holes and no T on top. The wire is a bright copper color. The magnet was a special Alnico V that was longer like the 50's style and rough cast. This is a special magnet and the closest to a vintage PAF in tone to my ears. They had white plastic spacers and braided connecting wire.

They typicaly read under 8Kohms and seem to average out in the middle 7's. They sound very big and powerful in spite of the low readings.

Tim Shaw who designed these pickups under Norlin restraints did a remarkable job IMO. They really are a neat sounding alternative to most humbuckers. the Magnet , as was explained to me was "Unoriented AlnicoV" I do not know what that means other than it isn't a regular AlnicoV. It seems that AlnicoV has higher gauss mesurments or something to that effect than any other type of pickup magnet, and Tim said that by deleteing a final step that puts a full charge or orientation on the magnet, the tone was closest to what he was after. It was a long time ago, but that is how I remember it. I really don't understand all the fine points of Magnetism so I could have some terms mixed up. Basicly it is a real cool sounding, Big Al approved magnet. This is what I put in my Antiquities.

From Gibson on Shaw:

"Whether it was rivalry between plants or increased market awareness, the Nashville plant jumped into the reissue action in 1980. By this time, one of the most glaring deficiencies of new Les Pauls (compared to the originals) was the humbucking pickup. In preparation for its first attempt at a reissue, Gibson assigned engineer Tim Shaw the job of designing a reissue of the original Patent-Applied-For humbucking pickup-within certain restrictions. "This was 1980 and Norlin was already feeling the pinch," Shaw said, referring to Gibson's long decline through the 1970s and early '80s. "We weren't allowed to do much retooling. We redid the bobbin because it was worn out. We got some old bobbins and put the square hole back in. We did it without the T-hole, which stood for Treble."

To replicate the magnets, Shaw gathered up magnets from original PAFs and sent them to a lab to be analyzed. "Most were Alnico 2's," he said, "but some were 5's. In the process of making an Alnico 5, they stick a magnet in a huge coil for orientation, but an unoriented 5 sounds a lot like a 2. They started with Alnico 2 and then switched to Alnico 5."

Shaw discovered that the original magnets were a little thicker than 1980 production magnets. "Magnetic strength is largely a function of the area of the polarized face; increasing the face size gives you more power," he explained. So he specified the thicker magnet for the new PAF.

Wiring on the originals was #42 gauge, which Gibson still used. However, the original wire had an enamel coating and the current wire had a polyurethane coat, which also was of a different thickness or "buildup" than that of the original, which affected capacitance. Norlin refused to go the extra mile-or extra buck, as it were. Enamel-coated wire cost a dollar more per pound than poly-coated. Shaw could change the spec on the buildup without additional expense, so the thickness of the coating was the same as on the original wire, but he was forced to use the poly coat. The difference is easy to see: purple wire on the originals, orange on the reissues.

Shaw later found a spec for the number of turns on a spec sheet for a 1957 ES-175. "It specified 5,000 turns because a P-90 had 10,000 turns and they cut it in half," Shaw said. In reality, however, originals had anywhere from 5,000 to 6,000 turns, depending on how tight the coil was wound. Shaw later met Seth Lover, who designed and patented Gibson's humbucker, at a NAMM show. Lover laughed when asked about a spec for windings, and he told Shaw, "We wound them until they were full."

The spec for resistance was even less exact, Shaw said. The old ohmeter was graduated in increments of .5 (500 ohms). Anywhere between 3.5 and 4 on the meter (3,500 to 4,000 ohms) met the spec. Consequently, Shaw pointed out, there is no such thing as an exact reissue or replica of the 1959 PAF pickup. There can only be a replica of one original PAF, or an average PAF. As Gibson would find out in the early 1990s, the same could be said about the entire guitar.

Shaw's PAF reissue debuted on Gibson's new Nashville-made Les Paul Heritage 80 in 1980. Compared to anything Gibson had previously made (which is to say, compared to nothing), it was an excellent reissue of a sunburst Les Paul Standard.....

22 Jun 2009, 16:23
Profile ICQ WWW

Teori: mickarna som såldes lösa hade PAF dekalen , de som satt i gitarrerna OEM hade bläckstämpeln...

22 Jun 2009, 16:26
Profile ICQ WWW

Åter igen sorry för kladd! Tack för innehållsrik info Mike!

22 Jun 2009, 21:24
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]